EDINBURG – The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley men’s tennis team dropped a home match to the University of Louisiana Lafayette 1-6 on Tuesday at the Orville Cox Tennis Center.
UTRGV (2-10) trailed early on in the match as Louisiana Lafayette (10-4) recorded a pair of victories in the doubles matches to clinch the point. UTRGV’s duo of Yehonatan Kaufman and Clément Sarradin won the final doubles match as they defeated Pearse Dolan and Elio Lago 7-6 on court three.
In singles, Louisiana Lafayette won on courts five six and four to clinch the match and added wins on one and six to wrap up their scoring.
Junior Elliot Johnstone was the only one to score a point for UTRGV. He recorded a 6-4 win in the first set before falling 1-6 in the second. In the tiebreaking set, it went back-and-forth but it was Elliot who came away with a 7-6 win and the point.
UTRGV will hit the road this weekend as they start play in the H-E-B Tournament of Champions in Corpus Christi with play starting on Friday.
1. Arthur Libaud (ULL) def. Koby Jansen (UTRGV) 7-5, 6-3
2. Elliot Johnstone (UTRGV) def. Pearse Dolan (ULL) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
3. Vlad Kramarov (ULL) def. Yehonatan Kaufman (UTRGV) 7-6 (1), 5-7, 10-6
4. Jaime Fraser (ULL) def. Clement Sarradin (UTRGV) 6-3, 6-4
5. Coleman Whalborg (ULL) def. Andres Hernandez (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-0
6. Elio Lago (ULL) def. Mateo Schmit (UTRGV) 6-3, 6-1
1. Arthur Libaud/Jamie Fraser (ULL) def. Koby Jansen/Mateo Schmit (UTRGV) 6-4
2. Coleman Whalborg/Eric Perez (ULL) def. Elliot Johnstone/Andres Hernandez (UTRGV) 6-3
3. Yehonatan Kaufman/Clement Sarradin (UTRGV) def. Pearse Dolan/Elio Lago (ULL) 7-6 (1)